An unexpected third sunny day in a row set the scene for a bitter-sweet Sunday for Team SUZUKI ECSTAR, where Alex Rins, despite recent struggles, put in solid race which earned him the chequered flag and championship points.
When the lights went out for the 27 lap race the track temperatures were at their highest of the weekend, and both Team SUZUKI ECSTAR riders opted for the medium-soft combination. Alex Rins made a good start from his 15th spot on the grid. The young Spaniard, who started this year’s race as a “rookie” having missed out with injury last year, slotted into 8th place on the opening lap. He maintained strong pace, and despite losing a few positions, he was ready to fight back. In the closing laps he lost out on 9th place and, following a small moment, he decided to maintain his rhythm to the flag, completing his target of a Top 10 finish.
“This weekend has been very difficult for me, trying to manage everything and go fast. In the race I tried to find the balance, and I think finishing in tenth was a good result. I was fighting with Aleix, Maverick and Cal during the last laps and we got a good finish. Now I just need to work hard from Fridays onwards, because all the tracks from now on I have already ridden with the MotoGP bike. Things are going in a good way, and at the Mugello test we tried some useful things, so we’ll go there with our heads up and try to complete a good weekend.”
- Ciabatti: "Correct direction is to keep it like it is"
- Speed Up lead incredibly tight Moto2™ FP3
- Rins fastest, top 10 within 0.4 in stunning FP3
- Canet sets new outright lap record to top Moto3™ FP3
- Best photos: Gran Premi Monster Energy de Catalunya
- Rins pleased with rhythm despite P11
- Rossi enjoys "better feelings" on Friday in Barcelona
- The race for the 2019 MotoGP™ eSport Championship starts now