After two very unfortunate races at Jerez and Le Mans, Team Del Conca Gresini is all smiles at the end of the #ItalianGP, as both riders Jorge Martin and Fabio Di Giannantonio made their way to the parc ferme at the end of the sixth Moto3 race of the season. The two standard bearers of Team Gresini were protagonists up to the chequered flag as they put up a fight with championship leader Bezzecchi, the only other rider to keep up with Martin’s pace the pace at the front.
As it often happens at Mugello, the exit of the last turn is the real decider of the race: Bezzecchi’s overtaking manoeuvre had in fact taken away Diggia’s chances for the win, while Martin managed to keep the lead and come out on top – even though with only a 0.019secs margin over Bezzecchi and 0.049secs on his team mate.
Martin takes 25 important points both for his moral and the championship standings in what was an eventful race for the young Spaniard: in the early stages of the race, a stone hit the front fairing of the Honda #88; few laps later, a hare crossed the track, forcing the Spaniard to close the throttle – with all the possible consequences of doing so while being tailed. Now Jorge, after what was a perfect weekend – he led every session and won the race – is up to second place in the standings and only three points away from the top.
“It has been a great race. The strategy was to try and make some selection while trying to enter the last turn in first position: it was the only way to win as the KTM bikes were literally flying on the straight – and it worked. I’m really happy; it was a difficult race given the stone that hit my windshield and the hare that crossed the track. It was really important to get back in the points after two DNFs and to be doing that at Mugello is even better!”
- Video: FIM CEV Repsol, Catalunya Round – Moto2 race 2 highlights June 19, 2018
- Video: FIM CEV Repsol, Catalunya Round – Moto2 race 1 highlights June 19, 2018
- Video: FIM CEV Repsol, Catalunya Round – Moto3 race 2 highlights June 19, 2018
- Video: FIM CEV Repsol, Catalunya Round – Moto3 race 1 highlights June 19, 2018
- Video: FIM CEV Repsol, Catalunya Round – European Talent Cup highlights June 19, 2018
- Iker Lecuona concludes the Catalan weekend in a strong way June 17, 2018
- Lowes: “I could have fought for the podium” June 21, 2018
- Applications for the British Talent Cup now closed June 21, 2018
- The numbers behind the Catalan GP podium June 20, 2018
- Pedrosa and Yamaha: a match made in heaven? June 20, 2018
- Alex Marquez tests Triumph Moto2™ engine June 20, 2018
- Wins from pole: Barcelona and beyond June 19, 2018