There is sad news out of Barcelona this morning as the FIM CEV Repsol confirm that the young and gifted rider Andreas Perez has died, following a crash in yesterday’s racing. Here is the press release that has been issued…
Andreas Perez passes away
The Spaniard was involved in an incident during Round 4 of the FIM CEV Repsol Moto3™ Junior World Championship and later succumbed to his injuries.
Following an incident during Round 4 of the FIM CEV Repsol Moto3™ World Championship at the Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya, it is with great sadness that we report the passing of Andreas Perez Manresa.
The incident happened in the second race of the day for the Moto3™ category, with the Red Flag shown immediately. The rider received medical attention at the side of the track before then being transferred to the Hospital de la Santa Creu i Sant Pau by helicopter.
Despite the best efforts of the circuit medical staff and those at the hospital, Perez sadly succumbed to his injuries on the morning of June 11th.
Perez was a standout performer in the 2017 European Talent Cup, taking two wins and a number of further podiums during the season to end the year in fourth. For 2018, he had moved up to the Moto3™ Junior World Championship, competing with the Reale Avintia Academy team.
The FIM, the RFME, Dorna and the Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya wish to pass on their condolences to the family, friends and team of Perez.
It goes without saying that we share in the sadness at the loss of his life, and our thoughts are with his loved ones and colleagues.
RIP – DEP
- All of the second jobs MotoGP™ riders picked up recently
- Back on track: MotoAmerica returns in style
- FIM CEV Repsol rounds 1 and 2 officially confirmed for July
- BT Sport’s ‘The Greatest Years’ takes us to 2006
- What was life like for a teenager in the 90s paddock?
- Puig addresses Pol Espargaro to HRC rumours
- MotoGP™ eSport Championship Global Series line-up revealed
- Making a splash: it’s time to enjoy some wet races for FREE