There is sad news out of Barcelona this morning as the FIM CEV Repsol confirm that the young and gifted rider Andreas Perez has died, following a crash in yesterday’s racing. Here is the press release that has been issued…
Andreas Perez passes away
The Spaniard was involved in an incident during Round 4 of the FIM CEV Repsol Moto3™ Junior World Championship and later succumbed to his injuries.
Following an incident during Round 4 of the FIM CEV Repsol Moto3™ World Championship at the Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya, it is with great sadness that we report the passing of Andreas Perez Manresa.
The incident happened in the second race of the day for the Moto3™ category, with the Red Flag shown immediately. The rider received medical attention at the side of the track before then being transferred to the Hospital de la Santa Creu i Sant Pau by helicopter.
Despite the best efforts of the circuit medical staff and those at the hospital, Perez sadly succumbed to his injuries on the morning of June 11th.
Perez was a standout performer in the 2017 European Talent Cup, taking two wins and a number of further podiums during the season to end the year in fourth. For 2018, he had moved up to the Moto3™ Junior World Championship, competing with the Reale Avintia Academy team.
The FIM, the RFME, Dorna and the Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya wish to pass on their condolences to the family, friends and team of Perez.
It goes without saying that we share in the sadness at the loss of his life, and our thoughts are with his loved ones and colleagues.
RIP – DEP
- Video: FIM CEV Repsol, Catalunya Round – Moto2 race 2 highlights June 19, 2018
- Video: FIM CEV Repsol, Catalunya Round – Moto2 race 1 highlights June 19, 2018
- Video: FIM CEV Repsol, Catalunya Round – Moto3 race 2 highlights June 19, 2018
- Video: FIM CEV Repsol, Catalunya Round – Moto3 race 1 highlights June 19, 2018
- Video: FIM CEV Repsol, Catalunya Round – European Talent Cup highlights June 19, 2018
- Iker Lecuona concludes the Catalan weekend in a strong way June 17, 2018
- Lowes: “I could have fought for the podium” June 21, 2018
- Applications for the British Talent Cup now closed June 21, 2018
- The numbers behind the Catalan GP podium June 20, 2018
- Pedrosa and Yamaha: a match made in heaven? June 20, 2018
- Alex Marquez tests Triumph Moto2™ engine June 20, 2018
- Wins from pole: Barcelona and beyond June 19, 2018