Team Estrella Galicia 0,0 Marc VDS riders Alex Marquez and Joan Mir both failed to finish the Czech Republic Grand Prix at Brno today.
The 19 lap race started in cooler and overcast conditions compared the heat wave that had hit Brno over the previous two days.
Marquez made a dashing start from position two on the front row to briefly take the lead on the opening lap before easing back to seventh.
But as Marquez began his planned mid-race charge for the podium by moving into third place on lap nine he lost the front-end and crashed at turn 14.
Mir’s race was a nightmare after losing positions just after the start then being bumped into the gravel at turn five as part of three rider crash on lap one.
Mir had been the fastest rider in the Sunday morning warm-up and had high hopes of a strong points scoring finish.
Marquez still holds third position in the standings on 113 points with Mir sixth on 113 points.
Alex Marquez: DNF
“I am completely disappointed and it was shame to go out of the race with no points after the good work in practice and qualifying. Now we just need to focus on improving the results and not worry about he championship.”
Joan Mir: DNF
“What happened today is a shame after strong run in the morning warm-up and a good feeling to do a great race. I made a good start but was bumped and lost some positions in the opening corners. Then entering turn five I was hit by another rider and we crashed together. It is not a good feeling but this is racing.”
- 2019 is here: 10 talking points to the Valencia Test
- Best photos: Valencia GP
- High 5: Rins secures fifth podium of 2018 in Valencia
- Pol Espargaro: “I cannot believe it. This is crazy”
- Dovi wins two-part race as Espargaro claims first KTM podium
- Perfect 2018 ending for Oliveira in dramatic Moto2™ finale
- Can Öncü stuns the field to create Grand Prix history
- Marquez 0.805 clear in rain-soaked Valencia Warm Up