After a stormy opening day, the rain was back on Saturday morning for the final free practice session.
Despite the tricky conditions, Iker Lecuona set the second fastest time before making a mistake at the first corner and knocking out Miguel Oliveira.
In qualifying, under sunny conditions, the young Spaniard confirmed his morning pace by setting a lap time 1’30.197 and scoring his best result on the grid.
The two SWISS INNOVATIVE INVESTORS KTM team’s riders will line up on the grid of the Austrian Grand Prix on Sunday at 12:20.
Iker Lecuona (12th – 1’30.197):
“This morning, on wet-weather conditions, my feeling was very good. I’m really sorry about Miguel Oliveira. I lost the front during braking and I couldn’t avoid him. The qualifying session was trickier. The front slid several times and I lost time, especially at Turn 4. I don’t really know why, but this is my best result. I am not completely satisfied because I know I can do better. I’m consistent, but the race will be different… we’ll see!”
- Wild ride: milestones and titles on the Island
- Time schedule: Pramac Generac Australian Motorcycle GP
- Marquez on a mission: check or check mate in Australia?
- Dalla Porta faces first match point Down Under
- Lorenzo: "We've improved various areas"
- Take heart Fabio, at least it’s not another four years
- Crutchlow: "It was really difficult to manage"
- Australia joins the 2020 Idemitsu Asia Talent Cup calendar