The 27 lap San Marino Grand Prix, Round 13 of the 2018 Championship, was set to be scorching – both in temperature and in atmosphere. Following a straight forward and useful Warm-Up session, Alex Rins and Andrea Iannone were ready to take to the 41c Misano circuit.
From their 10th and 13th place grid places respectively the pair made good starts, with Rins slotting into 7th place and moving his way quickly into 6th – up four positions from grid. Three laps into the race, Rins moved into 5th, before passing Viñales for 4th. The Spaniard was later passed by Crutchlow, but he was able to hold position, and gained 4th back following a crash from Lorenzo. Rins kept this strong position until the end, earning a great result.
“During the whole weekend I didn’t feel very fast with the medium tyre, so we chose the soft, and I didn’t think about the degradation too much because I knew I could be strong with the soft tyre. I’m very pleased with the race, it was incredible. The key was making a good start and trying to stay with the front group, and after that I just tried to keep my rhythm, but that became more and more difficult because I started to feel movement on the front end. Anyway, I’m happy with this 4th place and I hope we’ll continue like this.”
- Ducati evolution gallery: 2003-2019
- Follow the Repsol Honda Team presentation live!
- Pawi: “My intention is to completely change my mentality”
- Lorenzo completes operation and will miss the Sepang test
- KymiRing edges closer to completion
- 2019 MotoGP™ calendar confirmed!
- “Casa Marco Simoncelli” opens its doors
- Lorenzo to undergo surgery after training accident