The hot and humid conditions continued for qualifying at MotorLand with Team Estrella Galicia 0,0 Marc VDS riders Alex Marquez and Joan Mir enduring 46 degree track temperatures.
Alex Marquez was in a buoyant mood after topping the timesheet in FP3 but then lost time with a small mistake early in qualifying. Marquez recovered quickly from his turn nine tumble to post his fastest time of the weekend at 1’53.257 to secure fourth on the grid for his home race.
For Joan Mir the Aragon GP will be his 50th career grand prix start and he is hoping for a better race result than qualifying. While in the morning FP3 session Mir did not improve on his best Friday time and was in 22nd position he made important progress for race set-up and qualifying with his best lap of 1’53.747 placing him fifteenth.
The warm-up session for Moto2 will be at 9:10am with the 21 lap race scheduled to start at 12:20pm.
Alex Marquez: 4th, 1’53.257, + 0.108, 34 laps, 170 km
“Qualifying was a crazy session because I and that mistake early in the session pushing too much in turn nine and I lost the front. But in general I’m happy, we did some good steps and I was able to be faster than yesterday. I have a strong pace and an opportunity for a good result in front of my home fans but it will be important not to lose my head for this.”
Joan Mir: 15th, 1’53.747, + 0.598, 35 laps, 175 km
“We improved the bike a lot today so I had a much better feeling. In qualifying I was disturbed a couple of times by other riders so I didn’t do my best lap. But I have a good set-up for the race and look forward to fighting for a good result. I’m used to starting back on the grid so I will try to recover positions and be with the front guys early in the race.”
- Moto2™: Victory the next step for man of the moment Navarro?
- “If you’re not crashing, you’re not going fast enough”
- Edwards: “The few years I had with Valentino were awesome”
- Moto2™/Moto3™ Barcelona test photo gallery
- De Puniet looking forward to a “great fight” in MotoE™
- Round 2: the British Talent Cup touches down in Donington
- Moto2™ and Moto3™ finish first day of testing in Barcelona
- “Our priority is Pecco and Miller, but Miller doesn't agree”