Following a positive opening day at Motorland Aragon, Team SUZUKI ECSTAR’s riders took to the track on Saturday with high hopes for the day’s qualifying session. Both riders had provisionally made solid performances in free practice sessions, but with everyone upping the pace in FP3 this morning they needed to maintain strong lap times to stay within the Top 10 – something they managed well.
With Q2 passage guaranteed, FP4 was used by the riders to reconfirm settings and prepare for the qualifying session. Andrea Iannone once again demonstrated his strong pace by finishing the session in 2nd place.
Very small margins between the riders led to a fast and furious Q2, but Iannone and Rins responded accordingly. The Italian snatched a second row spot with 5th place, while the local favourite, Rins, secured a third row start with 9th.
“I’m feeling good. It was an interesting day as we tried many things and many different tyres. We felt like we had a good setup from FP3 onwards, so this was nice. It’s difficult to decide on the tyres, it will depend on the weather tomorrow. I will give my maximum and try to get a good start, I think we have the rhythm and the pace to be with the second group, so we’ll try to fight there.”
- #Level7: the numbers behind Marquez' 2018 season
- 2018: a season of supreme consistency for Marquez
- Magnificent 7: a Champion's profile
- The best photos from Marquez' magnificent 2018 season
- Level 7 achieved: social media reacts
- Magnificent 7: Marquez seals title with win in Motegi
- Dovizioso: “I’m so happy about the level we are at now”
- Crutchlow: “At the start I felt fantastic”