With his nine pole positions, last year Jorge Martin rewrote the history books of the quarter-litre class of MotoGP. Less than a year later and with five qualifying sessions still to be held, the Team Del Conca Gresini Moto3 rider has already equalled last season’s tally by logging in 1’57.066s (new track record) around the MotorLand Aragón circuit.
Speed, talent and the right strategy by the team has led the Spaniard to his 18th career pole – each of them scored with the white-and-blue colours of Gresini Racing on. Fabio Di Giannantonio, on the other hand, had a bit of bad luck on his side after showing great speed throughout the weekend, as the Italian did not manage to take the best out of the crucial slipstream in his last outing.
Despite being tenth-quickest in qualifying, the Italian has been promoted to the third row of the grid following Antonelli’s penalty; from there he will try – much like his team mate – to be among the leading protagonists of tomorrow’s thirteenth Moto3 race of the year, which will get underway at 11:00 local time (GMT +2).
“I rode all weekend long on my own in order to find the right race pace and I wasn’t expecting to record such a lap-time today! We found a great slipstream, but this new record makes me proud. I already tried last year, so everything has gone well. We found something with the set-up and now the bike is even better than before. The goal is to have a great race, to win if possible or at least extend our lead.”
- MotoGP™ eSport Championship Global Series line-up revealed
- Making a splash: it’s time to enjoy some wet races for FREE
- Jorge Martin’s Manager: talks with Ducati "very advanced"
- "I really wanted to do it" - Lorenzo on no wildcards in 2020
- Carlo Ubbiali: a career in photos
- MotoGP™ Legend Carlo Ubbiali passes away
- MotoGP™ riders prepped for more Catalunya action
- VR46 Academy back on track together at Misano