With an outstanding race and well supported by his Aprilia, Aleix Espargaró took home an excellent sixth place in Aragón and, although managing his position for the final three laps, he finished nine seconds behind winner Márquez.
Starting from the fifth row, Aleix completed a true masterpiece on the first lap where he moved into sixth place, a position on which he even improved, battling with Pedrosa and moving into fifth on the following lap. He stayed with the leading group for half the race and then, settling into sixth, he maintained the position for the remaining laps, lapping fast and extremely consistently, keeping his following rivals at a distance.
This resulted in Aleix earning an outstanding sixth place which is his best performance of the season, equalling the best result of Aprilia’s young history in MotoGP.
“The first 5 laps were the key to the race. After an excellent start, I managed to be very fast, staying with Pedrosa and maintaining contact with the lead group. I pushed straight away because I knew that I would have to manage tyre wear in the final stages. This is an important result for everyone. I am working harder than ever, trying to keep motivation high. The team and the guys at Aprilia in Noale are working non-stop, but it is not an easy process. We can’t be under any illusions after a good result, because Aragón is perhaps the track where I have always felt my best, but it is definitely a confidence booster. I changed my working method with Pietro, both in terms of setup and how I manage the weekend, focusing efforts on the race and revolutionising the geometry of the RS-GP. We are still not satisfied. We need to be fast always and easily, so we need to keep putting forth our best efforts.”
- Moto2™: Victory the next step for man of the moment Navarro?
- “If you’re not crashing, you’re not going fast enough”
- Edwards: “The few years I had with Valentino were awesome”
- Moto2™/Moto3™ Barcelona test photo gallery
- De Puniet looking forward to a “great fight” in MotoE™
- Round 2: the British Talent Cup touches down in Donington
- Moto2™ and Moto3™ finish first day of testing in Barcelona
- “Our priority is Pecco and Miller, but Miller doesn't agree”