The Team Estrella Galicia 0,0 Marc VDS rider scored valuable championship points with a brave performance while teammate Joan Mir came in twelfth position.
In near perfect conditions Team Estrella Galicia 0,0 Marc VDS riders Alex Marquez and Joan Mir contested round 16 of the Moto2 World Championship at a sunny and calm Twin Ring Motegi.
Alex Marquez set the scene for a strong race with the fourth fastest time in the warm-up in advance of the 22 lap race. Ignoring the setback of a bruising highside crash on Friday Marquez made a fast start to be fifth on lap one before settling in ninth place. Marquez saved his best for the second half of the race to surge back to fifth and finished just 0.5s out of fourth. He is fifth in the standings with 137 points.
The next Moto2 World Championship race will be held from October 26 to 28 at the Phillip Island in Australia.
Alex Marquez:“I am really happy to finish this race and especially to be fifth after making some small mistakes in the beginning and dropping back while not being aggressive and passed by many riders. I am happy with the work of the team to build up my confidence, it was not easy from what happened on Friday.”
Search the Website
- "We had more" – Miller's podium charge halted by grip issues
- Pedrosa, Smith and Pirro set for private tests
- Best photos: Motul Grand Prix of Japan
- Quartararo: your 2019 Rookie of the Year
- Two down, one to go: Honda claim 2019 Constructor crown
- Dovizioso reaches a century of Grand Prix podiums
- Marquez wins to clinch manufacturers title for Honda
- Marini bags back-to-back Moto2™ wins after Motegi duel