The Sunday of the Japanese Grand Prix weekend at the Motegi Twin Ring track was very positive for the Pons HP 40 squad, culminating a very good race for Augusto Fernandez, finishing sixth.
Augusto knew that if he made a good start he had rhythm to be in the first or second group.
Fernández finished the first lap in 12th position, and little by little improved his pace to reach the group that fought for fourth position, finally finishing sixth and thus achieving his best result in the world championship.
Augusto Fernández, 6th, +12.701
“I am very happy with this sixth position. We knew that at the beginning it would cost us since we did not have a feeling with the new tire. I started badly but I was able to overcome until I reached the group that was fighting for the podium. Once there I had a couple of scares and I decided to settle for the sixth place, my best result. To thank the team and the important thing is that we are getting closer and closer to the first ones.”
- 2019 is here: 10 talking points to the Valencia Test
- Best photos: Valencia GP
- High 5: Rins secures fifth podium of 2018 in Valencia
- Pol Espargaro: “I cannot believe it. This is crazy”
- Dovi wins two-part race as Espargaro claims first KTM podium
- Perfect 2018 ending for Oliveira in dramatic Moto2™ finale
- Can Öncü stuns the field to create Grand Prix history
- Marquez 0.805 clear in rain-soaked Valencia Warm Up