Ángel Nieto Team rider Albert Arenas took an incredible second victory of the season in Australia after a sensational final lap that saw him break from a huge pack of riders fighting for the win. Several months since and some 17,000km away from his last victory in France, Arenas stepped onto the top of the podium at Phillip Island after fighting throughout the race with a colossal lead group of up to 23 riders. The Ángel Nieto Team rider crossed the line for the penultimate lap in eleventh position but moved himself to the front of the pack and then put his head down to break clear on the final circulation. Italian pair Fabio di Giannantonio and Celestino Vietti joined the Spaniard on the podium, with this result moving Arenas up to ninth in the championship standings.
1st Albert Arenas:
“That was a battle from the first lap to the last. I had to stay very focused, especially from half-race distance, to not make a mistake. On the final few laps I was able to get myself into a good position and then just went flat out for the final lap. It was an incredible race and I want to thank the team for their work because my bike was running really well.”
- Forbes announces MotoGP™ doctors amongst the best in Spain
- Jordi Torres joins the MotoE™ World Cup
- MotoE™ calendar change: Le Mans replaced by Valencia
- 2019 sees lowest crash tally since 2015
- myWorld Motorrad GP von Österreich voted best of 2019
- Zarco: "Ducati convinced me!"
- Zaccone completes team Trentino Gresini line-up for 2020
- "We made a big impact before we even went out on track"