Ángel Nieto Team rider Albert Arenas took an incredible second victory of the season in Australia after a sensational final lap that saw him break from a huge pack of riders fighting for the win. Several months since and some 17,000km away from his last victory in France, Arenas stepped onto the top of the podium at Phillip Island after fighting throughout the race with a colossal lead group of up to 23 riders. The Ángel Nieto Team rider crossed the line for the penultimate lap in eleventh position but moved himself to the front of the pack and then put his head down to break clear on the final circulation. Italian pair Fabio di Giannantonio and Celestino Vietti joined the Spaniard on the podium, with this result moving Arenas up to ninth in the championship standings.
1st Albert Arenas:
“That was a battle from the first lap to the last. I had to stay very focused, especially from half-race distance, to not make a mistake. On the final few laps I was able to get myself into a good position and then just went flat out for the final lap. It was an incredible race and I want to thank the team for their work because my bike was running really well.”
- Fabio Quartararo shares his secrets to a fast lap
- KTM, Red Bull and Ajo Motorsport to continue collaboration
- Dovi v Marc VI, and how to accidentally join Rossi's Academy
- The stakes are high… The 2019 Final Draft starts now!
- Smith to replace Pawi at Petronas for British GP
- Introducing the new BMW M8 MotoGP™Safety Car
- Miller renews with Pramac Racing for 2020
- Poncharal: Oliveira top 10 "like a dream come true"