It was a great Sunday’s racing for the HP 40 Pons squad in Australia, but with a bittersweet flavour. After a complicated Qualifying for Augusto Fernández and teammate Lorenzo Baldassarri, both took advantage of the warm up to work with their respective technical teams and find the feeling that they did not have yesterday.
And the work paid off. Both started well and have managed to climb several positions to reach the head of the race. Baldassarri and Fernandez led a race with several drivers in the front group, with much overtaking.
For Augusto it was the first time he was running the whole race in the front group and in the end he missed out on the podium by a mere 8 thousandths. A great race of the pupil of Sito Pons who is increasingly more settled in the competitive category of Moto2.
The Pons HP 40 leaves Australia and heads for Malaysia to play the last flyaway race, in the Circuit of Sepang, on 2, 3 and 4 November.
Augusto Fernández, 4th, +0.957
“I’m happy for today’s race, it’s the first time I’ve been in the front group and fighting for victory, I’ve had a lot of fun, there’s been a bit of everything: overtaking, touches, … and it really has so little was missing to get the victory and the podium … We are moving forward, we are getting closer, improving race by race, and now it is time to think about Malaysia and continue like this, I want to thank the team for their work during the whole weekend”.
- Forbes announces MotoGP™ doctors amongst the best in Spain
- Jordi Torres joins the MotoE™ World Cup
- MotoE™ calendar change: Le Mans replaced by Valencia
- 2019 sees lowest crash tally since 2015
- myWorld Motorrad GP von Österreich voted best of 2019
- Zarco: "Ducati convinced me!"
- Zaccone completes team Trentino Gresini line-up for 2020
- "We made a big impact before we even went out on track"