It was a great Sunday’s racing for the HP 40 Pons squad in Australia, but with a bittersweet flavour. After a complicated Qualifying for Augusto Fernández and teammate Lorenzo Baldassarri, both took advantage of the warm up to work with their respective technical teams and find the feeling that they did not have yesterday.
And the work paid off. Both started well and have managed to climb several positions to reach the head of the race. Baldassarri and Fernandez led a race with several drivers in the front group, with much overtaking.
For Augusto it was the first time he was running the whole race in the front group and in the end he missed out on the podium by a mere 8 thousandths. A great race of the pupil of Sito Pons who is increasingly more settled in the competitive category of Moto2.
The Pons HP 40 leaves Australia and heads for Malaysia to play the last flyaway race, in the Circuit of Sepang, on 2, 3 and 4 November.
Augusto Fernández, 4th, +0.957
“I’m happy for today’s race, it’s the first time I’ve been in the front group and fighting for victory, I’ve had a lot of fun, there’s been a bit of everything: overtaking, touches, … and it really has so little was missing to get the victory and the podium … We are moving forward, we are getting closer, improving race by race, and now it is time to think about Malaysia and continue like this, I want to thank the team for their work during the whole weekend”.
- 2019 is here: 10 talking points to the Valencia Test
- Best photos: Valencia GP
- High 5: Rins secures fifth podium of 2018 in Valencia
- Pol Espargaro: “I cannot believe it. This is crazy”
- Dovi wins two-part race as Espargaro claims first KTM podium
- Perfect 2018 ending for Oliveira in dramatic Moto2™ finale
- Can Öncü stuns the field to create Grand Prix history
- Marquez 0.805 clear in rain-soaked Valencia Warm Up