Team Estrella Galicia 0,0 Marc VDS riders Alex Marquez and Joan Mir completed qualifying in dry and cool conditions after three wet weather practice sessions at the Ricardo Tormo Circuit.
Joan Mir completed the morning FP3 session in 23rd position as he continued to work on a improving the set-up for the wet track conditions that had dominated the weekend. For qualifying on a dry track after the rain stopped Mir was transformed and his fast pace was rewarded with the seventh fastest time of 1’36.336.
Alex Marquez continued his impressive wet weather pace in FP3 with the sixth fastest time. However he could not convert that form to the dry track conditions that appeared for qualifying, the first dry session of weekend in which he could not find a comfortable set-up on his Kalex machine.
The warm-up session will be at 9:10am with the 25 lap race, the 19th and final round of the Moto2 World Championship, scheduled for 12:20pm.
Joan Mir: 7th, 1’36.336, +0.559, 45 laps, 180 km
“Overall I’m happy. In wet conditions we had some issues with the bike but we know the direction to take which is important. In the dry qualifying I immediately felt good with the bike and I was competitive so I am happy for that.”
Alex Marquez: 16th, 1’36.580, +0.803, 45 laps, 180 km
“All weekend I have been very fast in the wet but for qualifying it was dry and even though I tried my best as always in these changing conditions we are not able to adjust the set-up to the conditions. The problem was rear grip so now we wait to see the weather for the race, the forecast is wet and I will try to make a good race.”
- Monaco to host FIM General Assembly & Awards in 2019
- Doohan exclusive: “If Marc loses to Lorenzo, it’s a win-win”
- “We will do our best to make our people proud of us”
- Marquez: the king of the crashers!
- PTT Thailand Grand Prix voted best of 2018
- Crowd pleasers: MotoGP™'s biggest weekends of the season
- F.C.C. to continue as official clutch supplier to Moto2™
- Argentina to host MotoGP™ until 2021