On the second race weekend of the 2019 MotoGP season, Aleix Espargaró just barely missed out on going through to Q2, finishing third by just 71 thousandths in Q1, which places him in the best spot on the fifth row with the overall thirteenth place time of 1’39.288.
Aleix demonstrated that the second qualifying session was within his grasp but, just as he was on his good lap, he had to slow down in the finale because of a slower rider on his line. In any case, the extremely small gap behind second place is a testament to the good potential of Aleix and his RS-GP.
Aleix Espargaró“We did a good job. In terms of pace, we have the potential to finish in the first eight. Unfortunately, qualifiers complicate things a bit. On my last lap, I was very fast, but I lost a few tenths in the finale and Q2 got away from us. Tomorrow managing grip will be fundamental, as well as tyre wear, because it is particularly high here. From this point of view, we are ready. The second half of the race will be crucial and we are prepared as best as possible. As long as the track is dry tomorrow, which I hope, but especially I would prefer stable conditions, unlike last year.”
- Ogden converts pole to victory in a tight season opener
- “Main goal is to secure a factory seat” – Miller
- British Talent Cup get set for Silverstone season opener
- “I knew he’d get there at some point, just not that quick!”
- Ducati’s double title charge
- Aprilia, Ducati, KTM, Suzuki and Yamaha go testing
- Josh Herrin nails down victory at COTA
- Puig: “We don’t know what happened to Lorenzo”