Monster Energy Yamaha MotoGP Team‘s Maverick Viñales continued the positive momentum he had on Day 1 at the TT Circuit Assen, following it up with a strong Q2 session. He put in some blistering laps, setting the second fastest time.
Viñales showed great pace all day, and he wasn‘t shy to push in Q2. He was the last rider to hit the track, to ensure himself of some clear space and used it to his advantage. His first lap put him in fourth place, but he was just getting warmed up in the bright Dutch sunshine. He was briefly pushed back to fifth, but replied by clocking the provisional third fastest time and entered the garage with over seven minutes remaining.
This time the Spaniard changed tactics. A quick minute later he dashed out of pit lane to be the first rider to start his final pole position effort. He was putting on his A-game, setting a 1‘32.157s to take pole, with a 0.304s advantage. However, the fight wasn‘t over. A charging Fabio Quartararo spoiled Viñales‘ plans. It was mainly between the two Yamaha men to take the honours, but the number-12 rider was unable to improve on his best lap on the next two attempts and finished the session in second place, 0.140s from first.
- Find out who was fastest in Challenge #4 !
- Summer report: Fabio Quartararo - the future has arrived
- Decisive victories at MotorLand Aragon
- “Sometimes a bit of an injury can work in your favour”
- Fit your wet tyres! Online Challenge #4 is ready to go!
- The official poster for the San Marino GP is launched
- Puig vows Lorenzo "will fight to be back" for Czech GP
- Binder confirmed to make 2020 MotoGP™ move