After the complicated qualifying day at Assen yesterday, in which Augusto Fernandez took the thirteenth position on the gird, today he achieved a great comeback and at the same time took a magnificent first GP victory.
Augusto started strongly and immediately was able to make up several positions. As the race progressed, he continued to climb positions to reach the front group, at which time he took control of the race. A group of six pilots were alternating the first positions, until in the final laps Baldassarri fell from the lead.
It was at that moment when Augusto returned to lead the race and kept the first position until crossing the finish line. It is the first GP victory for the Spanish rider, and he achieves it after climbing thirteen positions. A great job for him and his team.
Augusto Fernández, 1st
“Today has been incredible. Going from so far back is always more complicated but it’s a more interesting race. In the morning in the warm up we already knew that we had rhythm to be ahead. The key has been the first laps and try to overcome the maximum positions. Once I reached the front group I saw that I could not break the group so I knew it would be a fun endgame. Finally I got the victory and it’s amazing, I’m very happy. A year ago we worked together with the team and being in front is already the result of the good work we are doing and we must continue. Thanks to the team again and the sponsors. “
- MotoGP™ stars pay tribute to Kobe Bryant
- A 2019 rookie recap: sophomores set for vital 2020
- Red Bull Ring receives Best Grand Prix trophy in Kitzbühel
- What does 2020 hold for the manufacturers? Part 6: Aprilia
- Ducati Team unveil 2020 bikes
- Photo gallery: Ducati Team 2020 launch
- Pawi: "It was a long recovery, but now the feeling is good"
- 2020 MotoGP™ calendar officially confirmed