A perfectly timed switch to slicks and a masterful ride aboard the RC213V saw Marquez run away with pole position for the Czech GP and equal Doohan’s premier class pole record.
Torrential morning rain ceased just ahead of Free Practice 3 for the MotoGP World Championship but left the Brno circuit soaking wet. Although conditions improved throughout the morning session, the rain returned during the lunch break to ensure every Saturday session at the Czech GP was wet.
Able to immediately achieve a good feeling with his Repsol Honda Team RC213V in the wet, Marc Marquez continued to challenge for the top spots as he had done throughout the weekend. Second in FP3 had the reigning World Champion confident of a strong result in the wet or dry. Even with the rain, the grid would be decided on slicks and Marquez was the first to head out as the dry line appeared. Expertly navigating the treacherous conditions of the Automotodrom Brno, Marquez claimed pole by a staggering 2.5 seconds.
This is the 86th pole of Marc Marquez’s career and his 58th in the premier class. He and five-time World Champion Mick Doohan now share the record for most pole positions in the premier class with 58 each.
Sunday’s forecast is more positive with sun predicted for the 21-lap MotoGP race, scheduled to start at 14:00 local time.
“At the start I believed in the slick tyres with how the conditions were changing. In the end when the rain came back and the track got wetter it was difficult! Maybe in hindsight I took a little too much risk, but in the end we finished in a good way and I am happy. Tomorrow it looks like it will be a sunny day, so a normal race. With the conditions we have had, it is hard to know where everyone is but the target is the podium.”
- Introducing: the Fandom Pay MotoGP™ Mastercard®
- "Nothing gives you more confidence than a win" - Dovizioso
- Best images: MotoGP™ & Chelsea stars meet at Stamford Bridge
- An all-time classic: Sheene vs Roberts 40 years on
- Crutchlow and Viñales meet Chelsea star at Stamford Bridge
- The British Talent Cup season finale arrives at Silverstone!
- Best photos: KymiRing MotoGP™ Test
- Four front, rear slick tyre options selected for Silverstone