Alex Márquez maintains a healthy advantage in the championship fight thanks to a strong third place at Misano as Xavi Vierge holds on for an excellent top ten finish.
The 13th Moto2 race of 2019 kicked off in perfect sunny conditions and ambient temperatures of 25 degrees.
Márquez rode a mature race to collect an important 3rd place and 16 points for his championship challenge, while Vierge fought for 8th, a second consecutive top ten finish.
“Here is not one of my favorite tracks and I’ve always struggled here. This was a good result. OK, before the race we were expecting a little bit more. I thought I could be a little bit closer in the final laps to the top guys. On the third lap I had a moment where I nearly crashed and then I knew today would be difficult. I was too much on the limit and in the end I tried to control the gap to the guys in front and behind. I tried to just do my race and forget all the rest. I did it and I’m happy with the result and the job done.”
“Overall it’s a positive result. We did a good job all weekend, inside the top six in every session. It was a good race. But I made a mistake when I missed a gear. That allowed Navarro to overtake me and pushed me wide. From there I lost the chance to fight for the top five. My rhythm was good enough to fight for that. I’m happy to finish the race. Like Silverstone, it was really important to finish and take confidence for the next races and to take another step ahead of my home GP at Aragon. I want to say thanks to the team because they did a great job this weekend.”
- Enjoy ALL the MotoGP™ content for FREE
- Mamola: from king of saves to king of Instagram
- Petronas Yamaha SRT boss urges everyone to "stay at home"
- Happy 100th anniversary Suzuki
- "It's the first time I've started well in my life" - Viñales
- Marquez & Quartararo just miss out on Virtual Race rostrum
- The world reacts to the first ever MotoGP™ Virtual Race
- Alex Marquez thanks Indonesia's Moe for Virtual Race victory